University of Hartford Hawks (18-13, 5-1 America East)
at Quinnipiac University Bobcats (12-16, 7-3 MAAC)
QU Baseball Field - West Hartford, Conn.
The Quinnipiac University's non-conference game against Hartford, scheduled for Tuesday, Apr. 15 at 3 p.m., has been moved to Tuesday, Apr. 22 at 3 p.m. at the QU Baseball Field in Hamden, Conn. Bobcat fans should refer to the Official Website of Quinnipiac Athletics, www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com, for additional schedule changes over the next week due to inclement weather and playing conditions, as well as the latest news scores and highlights.
Quinnipiac is currently 12-16 overall including a 7-3 record in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play, while Hartford is currently 18-13 overall. The two teams faced each other last week with the Bobcats taking a 10-4 decision in West Hartford, Conn. Quinnipiac will host St. Peter's for a three-game MAAC series on Saturday, Apr. 19 for a doubleheader at 12 p.m. and Sunday, Apr. 20 for a single, nine-inning game at 12 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT AGAINST IONA
Quinnipiac is coming off a series sweep against Iona in which they outscored the Gales 11-1 over the course of the three games. The Bobcats are winners of six straight and are playing solid all-around baseball.
- In the first game of the Bobcats' three-game series against Iona, Thomas Jankins (East Haven, Conn.) held the Gaels scoreless while holding the host Iona squad to three hits in a nine inning complete game shutout. Jankins struck out eight while walking one. It was the first-year Bobcats' second career shutout – both coming against MAAC competition after a blanking of Manhattan on Mar. 22 – as he improved to 3-5 overall and 2-2 in the MAAC this season. For the year, Jankins' three wins are the most of any Quinnipiac starter, while he also leads the team in innings pitched (50.1) and strikeouts.
- Quinnipiac freshman Brandon Shileikis (North Dighton, Mass.), making his second career start, tossed a nine-inning, complete game, one-hit shutout to complete a three-game MAAC series sweep against Iona on Sunday, Apr. 13. Shileikis gave up a one-out seeing-eye single in the third inning that skipped under the glove of Quinnipiac's third baseman, narrowly missing the second no-hitter in Quinnipiac history. He went on to face the minumum (15) over the final five innings of play for his first collegiate victory.
- First-year Bobcat Matthew Osieja (Wyckoff, N.J.) provided clutch pitching out of the bullpen for the Bobcats, picking up his first career save after logging three innings against Hartford before picking up a late inning win against Iona on Saturday as the Bobcats defeated the Gaels, 2-1, in extra innings. For the year, Osieja leads Quinnipiac with a 4-1 record, while also leading the Bobcats in ERA (1.33), appearances (13), and opponents batting average (.196).
- In a 4-0 week, Vincent Guglietti (East Haven, Conn.) batted .412 (7-17) with six RBI and four runs scored. Guglietti hit safely in all four games, including a 2-for-5 day with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored in a 10-4 non-conference win against Hartford on Wednesday, Apr. 9. In a three-game series sweep of Iona, Guglietti was 5-for-12 (.600) with four RBI and two runs scored. In a 3-0 win against Iona in the first game of the series, Guglietti was 1-for-4 with a RBI before closing out the twin bill with a 3-for-5 outing that saw the big first baseman drive in two runs and score two more. In the final game of the series, a 6-0 Quinnipiac win, Guglietti was 1-for-3 with a RBI double. For the week, Guglietti posted a .647 slugging percentage and a .412 on-base percentage for a 1.059 OPS. He also manned first base admirably, going errorless in 34 opportunities.
1. Mike Palladino - CF/SO | .232 (19-82) | one triple, one homer, four doubles, and 12 RS.
2. Matthew Batten - SS/FR | .232 (26-112) | One triple, four doubles, nine RBI, and 16 RS
3. Lou Iannotti – 1B/SO | .235 (24-102) | Four doubles, two triples, 12 RS, and nine RBI
4. Vincent Guglietti - DH/JR | .340 (35-103) | .495 SLG, eight doubles, two HR, 22 RBI, and 21 RS
5. Scott Donaghue – 3B/JR | .228 (18-79) | four doubles, one HR, 11 RS, and nine RBI
6. Rob Pescitelli- LF/ SO |.207 (12-58) | four triples, one homer, nine RBI, and nine RS.
7. Ryan Nelson - 2B/SO | .227 (22-97) | seven doubles, one HR, and 13 RBI
8. Matthew Oestreicher - C/FR | .156 (7-45) | two doubles, two RBI, and four RS.
9. Mike Blumenthal - RF/SR | .250 (19-76) | three doubles, seven RBI, and five RS
PROJECTED STARTER VS. HARTFORD
Junior Matthew Lorenzetti (Marlboro, N.J.) - 1-1, 5.47 ERA, and 15 SO in 26 1/3 innings pitched. Lorenzetti threw six solid innings allowing three runs in picking up the first win of his career last week against Hartford. Lorenzetti will look to duplicate that effort as he draws the Hawks again this week.
Quinnipiac is on a six-game winning streak in which they have outscored their opponents 31-12 during the streak.
The Bobcats pitching staff has been dominant on this winning streak. No opponent has scored more than four runs during the six-game winning streak. Quinnipiac pitching allowed only one run this past weekend against Iona in three games. Over the last 13 games the pitching staff has posted a 2.55 ERA with Matt DeRosa, Matthew Osieja, and Thomas Jankins all posting an ERA under 1.
TAKING CARE OF THE BALL
The Quinnipiac defense has been outstanding during the streak. They have gone 32 consecutive innings without making an error.
LUCKY NUMBER 13
- The Bobcats are 10-3 in their last 13 games.
- Over the course of the last 13 games when Quinnipiac has scored at least three runs they are 9-0.
- Over the last 13 games Vincent Guglietti (.333), Matthew Batten (.327), Mike Palladino (.316), and Ryan Nelson (.306) are all hitting over .300.
Junior Vincent Guglietti (East Haven, Conn) had another big weekend going 5-12 with four RBI. For the year, Guglietti leads the team in average (.340), hits (35), runs scored (21), doubles (8), home runs (2), RBI (22), total bases (51), slugging percentage (.495), walks (14) and on-base percentage (.425).
Sophomore Rob Pescitelli (West Islip, N.Y.) had a big weekend against Iona going 5-for-9 with an RBI.
Quinnipiac will travel to New Rochelle, N.Y. this weekend to take on Iona in a three-game MAAC series starting on Saturday April 12th with a doubleheader at 12 and 3. The Series will conclude on Sunday April 13th at 1.
QU ATHLETIC SCHEDULES
Student-Athletes, parents and fans can download the 2013-14 QU Athletics schedules to your laptop and mobile devices for free by clicking in the iCalendar link at the bottom of each sport's homepage or the master schedule page. Fans can also follow Quinnipiac Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@QUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates.