Field Hockey Falls To Columbia, 3-2

HAMDEN, Conn. - The Quinnipiac University field hockey team lost to Columbia University, 3-2, in a non-conference match-up at the Quinnipiac Field Hockey & Lacrosse Turf Complex in Hamden, Conn. The Bobcats held a 2-0 lead before allowing three unanswered goals to the Lions. Quinnipiac drops to 0-3 on the season while Columbia picks up its first win of the year to improve to 1-2.

"I saw a lot of scoring opportunities today that I did not see in our first two games," Bobcats head coach Becca Kohli said. "I think we're trying harder and there is a lot of individual growth on the field from game to game. We struggled as a team in areas. I don't know if we weren't prepared or what it was, but we did not play smart today."

Senior captain Lauren Hartnett (Walpole, Mass.) scored the game's first goal just over 11 minutes into the game. The Bobcats were awarded a penalty stroke, which Hartnett handled. She passed out to Megan McCreedy (White River, South Africa) who held the ball for senior Bonnie Shea (Walpole, Mass.). Shea then fed Hartnett, who was cutting towards the net, who tipped it past Columbia's Christie O'Hara.

MacKenzie Liptak (Schuylerville, N.Y.) picked up her first goal of the season at the 13-minute mark on a pass from McCreedy. McCreedy once again handled the ball off the corner. After Shea faked a shot, McCreedy dumped the ball off to Liptak who beat O'Hara to give the Bobcats a 2-0 lead.

Columbia cut into the Quinnipiac lead at the 14:14 mark when Julie Hatchet scored her first goal of the season. Hatchet was set-up on the play off a corner on assists from Kate DeSandis and Lauren Byrne. The Lions scored again before the end of the half when Leti Freaney handled the ball inside the Quinnipiac zone. She passed from in front of the net to her left, leading a diving Jane Gartland who chipped the ball past Quinnipiac goalkeeper Jenna Grossman (Flanders, N.J.). Grossman came out to challenge Freaney and appeared to have the ball before Gartland dropped to the ground and pushed to the far post to tie the game.

Byrne scored the game-winning goal at the 57:44 mark of the second half off a penalty corner. The ball was knocked loose inside the Quinnipiac zone and allowed her to chip it over Grossman to give the Lions a lead and the win.

"It's disheartening to lose a lead like that," Kohli said. "Our defense is strong and we have a lot of smart players. Tina Watkins and Cassie Adams have stepped up in the last two weeks, but to lose to a two-goal lead and not capitalize on several scoring opportunities is very disheartening."

Quinnipiac returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 16 when they travel to Hempstead, N.Y. to take on non-conference opponent Hofstra University at 4 p.m.