Competitive Cheer Finishes 7th Out Of 12 Teams After First Day Of Cheersport Nationals

ATLANTA, Ga. - The Quinnipiac University competitive cheer team finished in seventh place out of 12 teams after day one of competition in the Cheersport Nationals. The Bobcats scored a 401.7 out of a total of 450 points on the day. Today's scores count for 40% of the final tally, with tomorrow's scores (the final day of competition) will count for the remaining 60%.

Quinnipiac competed in several different events on the day, including partner stunts, running tumbling, standing tumbling, pyramids and basket tosses. The Bobcats received a 19.3 out of 20 points in the partner stunts segment, 19 out of 20 on the pyramid segment, nines on all basket tosses, and nines and 9.5's on all standing tumbling varieties. Quinnipiac also scored high in overall difficulty, choreography and overall impression. The lowest scores of the day were tallied in the running tumbling sequence.

"Our team is confident that we can recover and up our score for tomorrow's portion of the competition," said head coach Mary Ann Powers. "We plan to add difficulty to our running tumbling segment and correct our stunting mistakes. By accomplishing those goals, we can make up for today's score and move ahead in the standings tomorrow."

Louisville currently ranks in first place with a total score of 430.9. Maryland landed in second place with a first-day score of 419.7, while Oregon ranks third with a 413.6. North Carolina State (409) and Fairmont State (408.7) round out the top five, while East Carolina (404.7) is just three points ahead of the Bobcats in fifth place.

Quinnipiac will return to competition tomorrow morning in the final day of the Cheersport Nationals. The Bobcats are scheduled to hit the floor at 10 a.m.