Cornell Edges Men's Basketball, 73-70

ITHACA, N.Y. – James Feldeine (New York, N.Y.) scored a team-high 18 points, but the Quinnipiac men's basketball team was defeated by Cornell, 73-70, Wednesday afternoon at Newman Arena. Louis Dale made both ends of a one-and-one with 10.7 seconds remaining to give Cornell the lead, 71-70, and the Big Red forced a held ball with the possession arrow in its favor with 2.2 seconds remaining. After Ryan Wittman made two free throws, Bryan Geffen's (Queens, N.Y.) three-quarter-court shot wouldn't fall, making Cornell victorious.

Louis Brookins (Silver Spring, Md.) scored 13 points and added a game-high nine rebounds, while James Johnson (Queens, N.Y.) had 12. Ryan Wittman scored a game-high 25 points, while Louis Dale added 23 for the Big Red. With the loss, the Bobcats fall to 6-6, while the Big Red improves to 7-6.

Cornell extended its home winning streak to 12 games by defeating the Bobcats. Quinnipiac played without leading rebounder and second-leading rebounder Justin Rutty (Newburgh, N.Y.), who missed the game following the passing of a family member.

Neither team could create separation in the second half with the largest lead being Cornell's five-point advantage twice early in the stanza. Steve Robinson's (New York, N.Y.) three-pointer with 10:46 remaining knotted the game at 48-48, while Eric Coggins' (Syracuse, N.Y.) free throw gave the Bobcats their first lead of the second half, 51-50, with 9:19 left. Neither team could muster a lead of more than three points the rest of the way.

Trailing by one with Cornell in possession and the shot clock turned off, Feldeine made a steal and converted a runner in the lane to give the Bobcats a one-point lead, 70-69, with 19 seconds left. On the other end, Dale was fouled and made both free throws with 10 seconds left, to put Cornell up, 71-70.

Cornell knocked the ball out of bounds with five seconds remaining and Quinnipiac was left to inbound the ball underneath its own bucket. But the Cornell defense collapsed as Feldeine received the inbounds pass eight feet from the bucket. The Big Red forced the alternate possession with 2.2 seconds left, after which Wittman was fouled with 1.7 seconds left. He knocked down both chances from the charity stripe to account for the final difference.

For the game, the Big Red outshot the Bobcats, 52.9 percent (27-51) to 45.8 percent (27-59) from the floor, 46.2 percent (6-13) from three-point range, and 76.5 percent (13-17) from the free-throw line. Quinnipiac outrebounded Cornell, 33-28, including 18 offensive boards to the Big Red's 10. The offensive rebounding discrepancy led to a 20-6 Bobcats advantage in second-chance points.

After the Big Red scored the game's first bucket, Quinnipiac went on an 8-0 run thanks to two jumpers apiece from Feldeine and Johnson to take an early 8-2 lead. The lead would extend to 12 points on Brookins put-back at the 13:03 mark of the first half. Cornell scored eight straight points to cut the deficit to four at 20-16 with 10:46 remaining in the initial half.

The Bobcats' lead increased twice to eight points, but Cornell scored another seven straight points to cut the Bobcats' lead to one with 5:06 left. Cornell eventually took the lead on Chris Wroblewski's three with 51 seconds remaining, 35-34. Neither team could score in the final 50 seconds and the Big Red retained the one-point lead at halftime.

Brookins led the Bobcats with nine first-half points and five rebounds, while Johnson and Feldeine contributed eight and seven points, respectively. The Bobcats shot 51.7 percent (15-29) in the first half to the Big Red's 50.0 percent (12-24). Wittman led Cornell with 12 points while Dale added 10.

The Bobcats return to Northeast Conference play Saturday, when they travel to Hackensack, N.J., to take on Fairleigh Dickinson. Opening tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Rothman Center.