Twyman's 23 Points Lead Men's Basketball Past Central Connecticut, 73-68

Photos of QU vs. CCSU

HAMDEN, Conn. - Deontay Twyman (Olney, Md.) scored 18 of his career-high 23 points in the first half as the Quinnipiac University men's basketball team defeated Central Connecticut, 73-68, Saturday afternoon at the TD Bank Sports Center. With the win, the Bobcats improve to 12-4 (4-2 NEC), while the Blue Devils fall to 10-7 (3-3 NEC).

Tevin Baskin (Stamford, Conn.) contributed season highs of 13 points and nine rebounds for the Bobcats, while James Johnson (Queens, N.Y.) added 13 points and six rebounds. Jamee Jackson (Newark, N.J.) chipped in 11 points and seven rebounds.

Chris Baskerville led CCSU with 16 points and 14 rebounds. Ken Horton (15), Devan Bailey (13) and Shemik Thompson (12) also finished in double figures. Thompson had a game-high seven assists.

The Bobcats fell behind, 8-3, in the early going, before the Bobcats scored the next six points to take their first lead of the game, 9-8. Twyman (12) and Johnson (5) scored Quinnipiac's first 17 points, with Twyman nailing his second three-pointer in the span to break a 14-14 tie at the 10:21 mark, giving the Bobcats the lead for good.

Twyman's three-pointer sparked a 10-0 Quinnipiac run that Dave Johnson (Jackson, N.J.) capped with a trifecta of his own. The lead swelled to 11 on Dominique Langston's (Bridgeport, Conn.) three-pointer with just over five minutes remaining in the first half. James Johnson's fast-break lay-up with 50 seconds left pushed the lead to 13 points, and after a Bailey jumper with 17 seconds left, Jackson pushed the advantage back to 13, 37-24, with two free throws before the halftime buzzer.

Quinnipiac's lead increased to 15 points on Lance Brown's (Teaneck, N.J.) jumper at the 17:20 mark of the second half, before CCSU slowly whittled away at the Bobcats' advantage. Down nine with four minutes left in regulation, the Blue Devils went on a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to two points with 1:34 remaining.

Jackson connected on a lay-up with 1:07 remaining to push the lead to four, and after two Thompson free throws, Jackson's put-back slam while being fouled again pushed the Quinnipiac lead to four with 43 seconds left. Quinnipiac's lead swelled to eight points at the free-throw line, before Devan Bailey made a three-pointer with three seconds remaining to account for the final 73-68 tally.

For the game, the Blue Devils outshot the Bobcats, 47.5 percent (28-59) to 40.0 percent (24-60) from the floor and 78.6 percent (11-14) to 66.7 percent (20-30) from the free-throw line. Quinnipiac took a 41.7 percent (5-12) to 20.0 percent (1-5) edge from beyond the free-throw line. CCSU became just the second team all year to outrebound the Bobcats, taking a 39-37 advantage.

The Bobcats return to action Monday, when they play a final non-conference game at Brown. Opening tip from the Pizzitola Sports Center is scheduled for 1 p.m.