Men's Ice Hockey Eliminated From ECAC Hockey Tournament With 5-3 Loss To #15 St. Lawrence

CANTON, N.Y. – The Quinnipiac University men's ice hockey team lost to #15 St. Lawrence University, 5-3, in the second game of the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals. The Saints pull out the sleep with back-to-back wins at Appleton Arena in Canton, N.Y. The Bobcats finish the year at 18-18-3.

Bud Fisher (Peterborough, Ont.) stopped 33 shots on net, while allowing five goals – three coming with a man-down. Bryan Leitch (Coquitlam, B.C.) picked up two assists in the loss, giving him 169 points for his career, tying him with Brian Herbert for the most career points in Quinnipiac's Division I history.

St. Lawrence scored early in the first period when Travis Vermeulen threw a shot on goal that beat Quinnipiac's starting goalie Bud Fisher (Peterborough, Ont.). Alex Curran carried the puck into the Bobcats' zone and connected with Brandon Bollig. Bollig's shot from the point was stopped by Fisher before it was picked up by Vermeulen in the slot. Vermeulen's first shot on Fisher was blocked, but he collected his own rebound and flipped a back-handed shot around Fisher to give the Saints the early 1-0 lead.

Quinnipiac responded with three unanswered goals to close out the first period, all coming in a six-minute span. Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) tied the game with his 11th goal of the season. Zach Hansen (White Bear Lake, Minn.) fed Zurevinski to the right of the Saints' goal. Zurevinski cut across the crease and wrapped a shot around St. Lawrence goalie Alex Petizian to tie the game at 1-1. Leitch was also credited with an assist.

At the 15:13 mark, Quinnipiac had a 5-on-3 advantage after a pair of penalties were called on Derek Keller and Aaron Bogosian. Leitch took control of the puck in the Bobcats' defensive zone and took off down the ice on the left wing. He spun just above the face-off circle and found Marshall trailing the play. Marshall's shot beat Petizian, bar-down, to give Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead.

Eric Lampe (Madison, Wisc.) then scored his second goal in as many nights to give the Bobcats a two-goal lead. Lampe started the played, knocking the puck loose behind the Bobcats' net. Andrew Meyer (St. Louis, Mo.) handled the puck along the sideboards in the Bobcats' zone and passed it out to center ice where it was collected by Mike Atkinson (Sparta, N.J.). Atkinson initially lost the puck and it was controlled by St. Lawrence at their logo at center ice. Lampe knocked the puck loose again and took off on alone on a breakaway. His shot beat Petizian to increase Quinnipiac's lead to 3-1.

St. Lawrence responded, scoring three unanswered goals in the second period, including a pair of power-play goals, to take a 4-3 lead. Quinnipiac managed to kill all four penalties called on them in the first period. Vermeulen scored his second goal the game at the 1:33 mark when the Bobcat defense failed to clear the puck, leaving it just outside the crease for Vermeulen.

McBride then set-up back-to-back power-play goals as St. Lawrence took a 4-3 lead into the third period. The first goal came off a one-timer from Jared Ross from the point that beat a screened Fisher in goal. Zach Miskovic then scored on a re-direction from a shot from the point from Shawn Fensel. The Saints would add an insurance goal at the 11:27 mark.