Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Ties St. Lawrence, 2-2

CANTON, N.Y. - The Quinnipiac University men's ice hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie against St. Lawrence in an ECAC Hockey match-up at Appleton Arena in Canton, N.Y. With the tie, Quinnipiac goes to 6-6-3 in ECAC Hockey play and 13-10-4 overall while St. Lawrence goes to 3-9-1 in league play and 7-13-5 overall.

Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) scored the Bobcats' first goal before setting up Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) with a go-ahead goal in the third period. Zach Hansen (White Bear Lake, Minn.), Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) and Mike Dalhuisen (Nymegen, Holland) all had assists in the game.

"You're always happy to come up here and get three points on the road," head coach Rand Pecknold said. "We would've liked to get the win, but you have to be happy with the trip. Give St. Lawrence credit, their kids worked their tails off and blocked shots."

Zurevinski put the Bobcats on the board just 39 seconds into the game with his 12th goal of the season. Kellen Jones picked up the puck behind the St. Lawrence goal and sent it to Hansen at the point. Hansen one-timed a shot on goal that Zurevinski tipped and re-directed between Saints' goalie Robbie Moss' pads to give the Bobcats the early lead, 1-0.

With 12:15 to play in the second period, Quinnipiac turned the puck over deep in their zone, resulting in a goal by Jacob Drewiski from Jared Keller. Keller handled the puck to the right of the Bobcats' bench and spied Drewiske waiting in front of the goal. Drewiske popped the puck over the left shoulder of Eric Hartzell (White Bear Lake, Minn.) to tie the game, 1-1.

The Bobcats took advantage of a 5-on-3 power play when Connor Jones' one-timer from just below the blue line gave Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead. The Bobcats turned the puck over behind St. Lawrence's net, but regained control. Zurevinski handled the puck to the left of Jones and passed it across ice to Dalhuisen. Dalhuisen sent it back across the ice to Zurevinski who touch-passed it to Jones who put a one-timer on goal. The puck skipped past Moss and found the back of the net to give Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead with just over 16 minutes to play in the third period.

With just under twelve minutes to play in regulation, Drewiski scored his second goal of the game, this one coming on the power play, to knot the score at 2-2. George Hughes worked the puck around the perimeter to Nick Pitsikoulis, who found Drewiski in the slot. Drewiske handled the puck in front the net, spun away from Hartzell and flipped a back-hand shot past the second-year goalie to tie the game.

After St.Lawrence's Greg Carey was called for slashing, the Bobcats found themselves on the power play with under two minutes to play in regulation. With a man-advantage, the Bobcats turned the puck over, and Aaron Bogosian took off down ice. The senior center ripped a shot past Hartzell, over the goalies' shoulder. The goal was called off when Bogosian was whistled for holding. The Bobcats were able to get two shots on goal in the final minute, but were denied.

Quinnipiac returns to action next weekend when it hosts Rensselaer on Friday, Feb. 4 and Union on Saturday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden, Conn.