Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Loses To No. 11 Union, 3-2, In Overtime

HAMDEN, Conn. - The Quinnipiac University men's ice hockey team lost to nationally-ranked No. 11 Union, 3-2 in overtime, in an ECAC Hockey match-up at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden, Conn. Quinnipiac goes to 13-11-5 overall and 6-7-4 in ECAC Hockey play. Union improves to 20-7-3 overall and 12-3-1 in league action.

Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) and John Dunbar (Calgary, Alberta) both scored for the Bobcats, who held a 2-1 lead in the game. Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) and Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) assisted Jones on his sixth goal of the year while Mike Dalhuisen (Nymegen, Holland) and Zach Davies (Smithers, British Columbia) had assists on Dunbars goal. Eric Hartzell (White Bear Lake, Minn.) stopped 35 shots in the game. The loss is also the first time since March 17, 2007 that Quinnipiac lost a game it was leading after the second period. In the previous 59 games, the longest active unbeaten streak in NCAA Division I ice hockey, Quinnipiac held a record of 54-0-5.

Jones put the Bobcats out in front with a mark at the 7:09 mark of the first period. Zurevinski put a shot on goal that Connor Jones picked up off the rebound and tried to push past Union's Keith Kinkaid. The puck shot out in front the crease, where it was picked up by Jones. Jones went to the back hand while he was skating to the far post and beat Kinkaid stickside.

Union responded in the second period, outshooting the Bobcats 18-5 in the middle frame. After Quinnipiac was whistled for a penalty, Union scored their 40th power play goal of the season at the 9:33 mark. John Simpson put a shot on Hartzell, who stopped it, but couldn't cover it before Wayne Simpson poked it past the sophomore goalie to tie the game.

Just under three minutes later, Dunbar scored his fourth goal of the season, and first since Dec. 8, at the 12:26 mark. Davies carried the puck over center ice and found Dalhuisen, who put a shot on goal. Dunbar picked up blocked shot and beat Kinkaid to put the Bobcats back on top.

Union's Brock Matheson scored the game-tying goal just 1:39 into the third period. Jeremy Welsh and Ryan Forgaard were credited with assists on the play. Both teams played even down the stretch, forcing overtime for the third straight game for the Bobcats. Halfway through overtime, a Quinnipiac turnover in their own defensive zone gave the puck to Justin Pallos, who beat Hartzell with the game winning goal at the 2:44 mark.

Quinnipiac is back in action on Friday, Dec. 11 when it travels to Hanover, N.H. to take on Dartmouth in an ECAC Hockey tilt set for a 7 p.m. start.