Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Ties No. 5 Union, 2-2

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. - The Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team overcame a two-goal deficit to tie nationally-ranked No. 5 Union in an ECAC Hockey match-up at Messa Rink in Schenectady, N.Y. The Bobcats go to 13-13-7 overall and 6-9-6 in ECAC Hockey play while Union goes to 24-7-4 overall and 16-3-2 overall. With the tie, Quinnipiac can secure home-ice advantage in the ECAC Hockey Tournament First Round, scheduled to be played next week, with a tie or win against Rensselaer tomorrow night. Sophomore Dan Clarke (Belleville, Ontario) started his first game since Dec. 4, stopping 31 of Union's 33 shots on goal for the game.

"Dan Clarke is a great goaltender. He was our team MVP last year, so we have confidence in him," Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold said. "Eric Hartzell got hot at the right time, so it was hard to take him out of the lineup, but I have been looking for an opportunity to get Clarke a start. He's had success in this building in the past and we were hoping to get him going in case we need him for the ECAC Hockey Tournament."

Freshmen twins Connor and Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) both had a pair of assists on goals scored by Brooks Robinson (Duncan, British Columbia) and John Dunbar (Edmonton, Alberta).

"I was just trying to do my best and give the team a chance to win the game," Clarke commented.

Union jumped out to a 1-0 lead at the 3:14 mark of the second period when Adam Presizniuk scored on the power play to give the Dutchmen the early lead. John Simpson took a shot from the point through traffic that Presizniuk re-directed past Quinnipiac goalie Dan Clarke (Belleville, Ont.). Kelly Zajac was also credited with an assist on the play.

Kyle Bodie gave the Dutchmen a two-goal lead at the nine-minute mark when he blasted a shot past Clarke to put Union on top, 2-0. Shawn Stuart started the play in the Union defensive zone and sent it up-ice to Andrew Buote. Buote found Bodie's tape just above the blue line. Bodie skated in on Clarke and then turned away from the Bobcats' defense before rifling a shot over Clarke's left shoulder to double Union's lead.

Brooks Robinson (Duncan, British Columbia) cut Union's lead in half at the 16:35 mark as the Bobcats' power play was ending. Quinnipiac worked the puck around the perimeter before a shot on goal by Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) from above the right face-off circle. The shot was blocked by Union and tipped toward the goal by Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia). Robinson was able to bat the puck down to beat Union goalie Keith Kinkaid.

Quinnipiac had an opportunity to tie the game less than two minutes later when Kevin Bui (Edmonton, Alberta) took off on a two-on-one with Spencer Heichman (Yorba Linda, Calif.) trailing the play. Bui looked his defender off and put a shot on goal that hit the far post and bounced away.

John Dunbar (Edmonton, Alberta) tied the game with less than seven minutes to play. After Connor Jones won the face-off, the puck skipped out to Kellen Jones. Kellen then found Dunbar who took control of the puck between the face-off circles and put a shot on Kinkaid that found daylight and knotted the game at 2-2. Jones was credited with an assist on the play.

Quinnipiac is back in action on Saturday, Feb. 26 when they travel to Troy, N.Y. to face No. 13 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in an ECAC Hockey match-up at the Houston Field House at 7 p.m.