Jeremy Langlois Scores Twice To Lead Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey To 4-3 Win Against Ohio State

HAMDEN, Conn. – Four first-period goals, including a pair of power-play goals from junior Jeremy Langlois (Tempe, Ariz.),powered the Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team to a 4-3 win against Ohio State in a non-conference match-up at Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The Bobcats split the season-opening series with the Buckeyes to open the year at 1-1.

"I'm very happy with the win tonight," head coach Rand Pecknold said. "We had a couple of guys who had big games for us tonight. Jeremy Langlois, Scott Zurevinski and Spencer Heichman were excellent up-front and Loren Barron and Zack Currie were excellent on the blue line. Our power play was very good tonight."

Quinnipiac out-shot Ohio State for the second night in a row, while also posting a 2-for-8 showing on the power play. Russell Goodman (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) put the Bobcats on the board early in the game before Langlois' two markers. Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) added his first goal of the year as the Bobcats countered an opening-night solo-goal outing on Friday with a four-goal first period on Saturday night.

Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) had two assists in the game, setting up Langlois and twin Connor, while Matthew Peca (Petawawa, Ontario) picked up his first collegiate assists. Loren Barron (Glendora, Calif.), Quinnipiac's assist-leader in 2010-11, and Zack Currie (Victoria, British Columbia) also had assists. Eric Hartzell (White Bear Lake, Minn.) stopped 18-of-21 shots on goal for the win.

Goodman started the play that ultimately resulted in his first goal of the season early in the first period. Ohio State turned the puck over in the neutral zone when the junior forward picked up the loose puck and skated it down the left side wall. Goodman stepped just over the blue line and unleashed a blast that beat Buckeyes' starting goalie Cal Heeter, glove side. Heeter recorded 35 saves in the first game of the series before Quinnipiac chased him with eight minutes to play in the first period. Hetter was replaced by Brady Hjelle.

On a 5-on-3 power play, Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia), Matthew Peca (Petawawa, Ontario) and Langlois worked the puck around the perimeter before Jones, from the right side of the zone, to Peca high in the slot. Peca hesitated momentarily to draw the defenseman as Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) stepped in front of the net. Peca then dished the puck over to the opposite side of the goal to Langlois who one-timed a shot past Heeter to give Quinnipiac a 2-0 lead.

Once again on the power play, Loren Barron (Glendora, Calif.) controlled the puck off a draw and slid it across ice to Zack Currie (Victoria, British Columbia). Currie drew the Ohio State defense, leaving Langlois open back-door. Currie's pass found Langlois' tape for the one-timer to give Quinnipiac a 3-0 lead. Quinnipiac's fourth goal came when freshman Dan Federico (Acton, Mass.) took control of the puck off a neutral zone face-off before sending it deep into the Buckeyes' zone. The puck took a Bobcat-friendly bounce off the glass and ended up in front of the net when Kellen Jones collected it and put it on net. The shot was deflected past the Buckeyes' goalie by Connor to give Quinnipiac a 4-0 lead.

Ohio State scored twice in the second period to cut the Bobcats' lead in half. Ryan Dzingel and Matt Johnson took off on a 2-on-1 with Quinnipiac defenseman Zach Davies (Smithers, British Columbia). Dzingel crossed the blue line and dumped the puck over to Johnson who flipped a shot to the far post to put OSU on the board. The Buckeyes' second goal came when Cory Schneider picked up the puck to the right of Hartzell and fired a shot parallel to the goal line. The puck glanced off of Hartzell's skate and into the back of the nut to pull Ohio State within two goals heading into the third.

With less than three minutes to play, Danny Dries batted a puck out of the air and over Hartzell for what appeared to be Ohio State's third goal in the closing minutes. The officials waved the goal off, calling Dries for a high stick. Review of the play supported the initial call. Ohio State did get their third goal when Zingel put a shot on goal that appeared to be stopped by Hartzell. The puck ended up being loose, and eventually trickled over the goal line.

Dries and Dzingel managed to fire-off three shots in the last thirty seconds. Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) came up with a big block, knocked the puck loose, before Hartzell kicked-away Ohio State's final two scoring bids to preserve the win.

Quinnipiac returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 12 when it hosts Holy Cross for its 2011-12 home-opener at High Point Solutions Arena at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden, Conn.