Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Ranked 5th In USCHO.com Division I Poll
The Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team continued to climb in the national rankings after bringing its NCAA leading unbeaten streak to a program record 12 games (11-0-1). Following a pair of wins against No. 12/13 Nebraska-Omaha, Quinnipiac moved to 5th in the USCHO.com Division I poll, as announced on Monday, Dec. 31, 2012.
- The Bobcats entered this past weekend ranked 9th in both polls before sweeping No. 12/13 Nebraska Omaha, 5-4 and 3-1, at High Point Solutions Arena at the TD Bank Sports Center on Dec. 29-30.
- Quinnipiac improved to 6-0-0 on the year against ranked opponents while also improving to 14-3-2 overall - good for a NCAA Division I leading winning percentage of .789.
- The Bobcats' 12-game unbeaten streak is also its longest since 2004-05 and is the longest in college hockey this season.
- The Bobcats' ranking this week is their highest since Nov. 30, 2009 when they reached the No. 4 slot in the USCHO.com poll and the 6th spot in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll.
|USCHO.com||Division I Poll||Dec. 31, 2012|
|Team||(First Place Votes)||Record||Points||Last Poll|
|3||Notre Dame||9||14- 4-0||913||3|
|15||St. Cloud State||12-8-0||291||16|
|Others receiving votes: Colgate 50, Ferris State 47, Providence 12, Harvard 10, Michigan Tech 5, Massachusetts 4, Massachusetts-Lowell 4, Northern Michigan 4, Colorado College 1.|
- Ben Arnt (Oakdale, Minn.) scored twice and assisted on a third goal for the weekend while Matthew Peca (Petawawa, Ontario) had a goal and two assists. Clay Harvey (Gull Lake, Saskatchewan) added a goal and an assist in the series while Jordan Samuels-Thomas (Windsor, Conn.) scored twice on Saturday, while also assisting on a third goal in the game. Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) had three assists for the weekend, while leading goal-scorer Jeremy Langlois (Tempe, Ariz.) had an assist in each game. Kevin Bui (Edmonton, Alberta) and Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) also had goals.
- Senior goalie Eric Hartzell (White Bear Lake, Minn.) stopped 33 of 37 shots on goal in a 5-4 win against UNO on Saturday before dominating play with a 28-save effort in a 3-1 win on Sunday for the series sweep. For the year, he is 14-2-2 (.833 winning percentage, 1st NCAA) with a .935 save percentage (13th-NCAA) and a 1.43 GAA (3rd-NCAA).
- Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold earned his 350th career win on Saturday with the Bobcats' 5-4 defeat of Nebraska-Omaha. The only head coach in Quinnipiac's Division i history, Pecknold ranks ninth among all active coaches witih 351 career wins.
|Active NCAA Division I Coaches|
|1||925||Jerry York, Boston College|
|2||886||Jack Parker, Boston University|
|3||759||Red Berenson, Michigan|
|4||610||Don Lucia, Minnesota|
|5||582||George Gwozdecky, Denver|
|6||510||Dick Umile, New Hampshire|
|7||442||Rick Gotkin, Mercyhurst|
|8||356||Jeff Jackons, Notre Dame|
|9||351||Rand Pecknold, Quinnipiac|
|10||339||Mike Shafer, Cornell|
Contact: Ken Sweeten (firstname.lastname@example.org)