Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey's Sam Anas Wins Tim Taylor Award As 2013-14 NCAA Division I National Rookie of the Year
- Official Release From Hockey Commissioners Association (Apr. 11, 2014)
- Sam Anas Tabbed George C. Carens Rookie of the Year
- Sam Anas Named College Hockey News Rookie of the Year
- Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey's Sam Anas Named ECAC Hockey Co-Rookie of the Year
- CHN Rookie of the Year: Sam Anas
- Sam Anas Bio
- Sam Anas Statistics
Quinnipiac men's ice hockey freshman Sam Anas (Potomac, Md.) received the Tim Taylor Award from the Hockey Commissioners Assocation (HCA) as the NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey National Rookie of the Year, as announced by the association on Friday, Apr. 11. Anas is the first Quinnipiac player in the program's history to be honored with the award, given to the top freshman in NCAA Division I men's ice hockey.
"We are very proud of Sam and all that he accomplished this year," head coach Rand Pecknold said. "Along with Connor and Kellen Jones, they formed one of the best lines in college hockey this season. Sam was a major factor in Quinnipiac's top ten national ranking. He is a great teammate, excellent student and competes hard every day - both on the ice and in the weight room."
Sam Anas' 2013-14 Honors and Awards
Anas enjoyed an incredible season for the nationally-ranked Bobcats, leading the team and all NCAA Division I freshmen in goals (22) and points (43), as well as points per game (1.07). Anas' 21 assists also ranked seventh among all first-year Division I players.
For his efforts, Anas was selected as the ECAC Hockey Co-Rookie of the Year and was named to the 2014 ECAC Hockey Second Team and the ECAC Hockey All-Rookie Team. Earlier this month, Anas was also named the George C. Carens Rookie of the Year by the New England Hockey Writers Association and the College Hockey News Rookie of the Year.
Anas also finished the year as one of 21 players in NCAA Division I hockey to score 20 goals and was the only freshman to tally 40 points in his first season. He is also the first freshman since 2011-12 to reach the 40 point mark. Anas joins Brian Herbert as just the second freshman in Quinnipiac's Division I history to reach 20 goals and 20 assists in his first season, as Herbert tallied 22 goals and 32 assists in 1999-00.
Anas is the third Quinnipiac player - joining Bryan Leitch in 2006 and Brandon Wong in 2007 – honored as a recipient of the ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Year award.
2013-14 Sam Anas Highlights
- First freshman in NCAA Division I men's ice hockey to score 40 points in his first season since 2011-12
- Only freshman in NCAA Division I men's ice hockey with 40 points in 2013-14
- With 22 goals this year, Sam Anas is the fourth Quinnipiac freshman at the Division I level - joining Brandon Wong (27) as well as Brian Herbert and David Marshall (22) - to scored 20 goals in his first season.
- Anas is the third Quinnipiac player - joining Bryan Leitch in 2006 and Brandon Wong in 2007 – honored as a recipient of the ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Year award.
- Anas also joins Herbert as the only two freshman in Quinnipiac's Division I history to post 20 goals and 20 assists in their first season.
Past AHCA National Rookie of the Year Award Winners
- 2014 Sam Anas, Quinnipiac University
- 2013 Jon Gillies, Providence College
- 2012 Joey LaLeggia, Denver
- 2011 T.J. Tynan, Notre Dame
- 2010 Stephane Da Costa, Merrimack College
- 2009 Kieran Millan, Boston University
- 2008 Richard Bachman, Colorado College
- 2007 Andreas Nodl, St. Cloud State