Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey's Sam Anas To Receive The AHEPA William Chirgotis Collegiate Scholar-Athlete Award
Quinnipiac University men's ice hockey stand-out Sam Anas has been selected as the recipient of the prestigious William Chirgotis Collegiate Scholar-Athlete Award, presented by the American Hellenic Educational Progress Association.
The AHEPA is a leading membership-based association for the nation's millions of American citizens of Greek heritage and Philhellenes. The organization's Supreme President Anthony Kouzounis will present Anas with the award at the 92nd AHEPA Supreme Convention on July 24, 2014, New Orleans, La. The William Chirgotis Award is presented to the top Collegiate Scholar-Athlete of Hellenic descent.
Anas completed one of the historically great first seasons in a Quinnipiac sweater in program history, earning the Hockey Commissioner's Association Tim Taylor National Rookie of the Year Award, while also being named the CollegeHockeyNews.com and USCHO.com National Rookie of the Year. Anas also won the ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Year honor.
Sam Anas' 2013-14 Honors and Awards
- 2014 Hockey Commissioners Association Tim Taylor National Rookie of the Year
- 2014 ECAC Hockey Co-Rookie of the Year
- 2014 CollegeHockeyNews.com National Rookie of the Year
- 2014 USCHO.com National Rookie of the year
- AHEPA William Chirgotis Collegiate Scholar-Athlete Award
- New England Hockey Writers Association George C. Carens Award
- ECAC Hockey Second Team selection
- ECAC Hockey All-Rookie Team selection
- AHCA National Rookie of the Month in November
- ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Month in November
- Three-time ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week (10/29, 11/5 and 11/26)
2013-14 Sam Anas Highlights
- First freshman in NCAA Division I men's ice hockey to score 40 points in his first season since 2011-12
- Only freshman in NCAA Division I men's ice hockey with 40 points in 2013-14
- With 22 goals this year, Sam Anas is the fourth Quinnipiac freshman at the Division I level - joining Brandon Wong (27) as well as Brian Herbert and David Marshall (22) - to scored 20 goals in his first season.
- Anas is the third Quinnipiac player - joining Bryan Leitch in 2006 and Brandon Wong in 2007 – honored as a recipient of the ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Year award.
- Anas also joins Herbert as the only two freshman in Quinnipiac's Division I history to post 20 goals and 20 assists in their first season.