Men's Soccer Opens Season With 1-1 Tie At Yale

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Junior Dwayne Mars (St. Michael, Barbados) scored with 26 seconds remaining in the first half as the Quinnipiac University men's soccer team tied Yale at Reese Stadium, 1-1, in the season opener. The tie ends Yale's 10-game win streak all-time against Quinnipiac. The Bobcats and Bulldogs both begin the 2009 season with 0-0-1 records with the tie.

"A lot of positives come from this game," said Head Coach Eric Da Costa. "We made a lot of subs and our young guys made contributions tonight. It's good to know that we can go a little bit deeper than we have in years past. Both teams played well tonight and this is something we can build on going forward."

The Bobcats had two scoring chances in the first half. Freshman Philip Suprise (Milwaukee, Wis.) made a move around a Bulldog defender at the top left corner of the box, but pushed his shot wide right of the far post in the 14th minute of play. Sophomore Durval Pereira (Cheshire, Conn.) also had an opportunity to put the Bobcats up a goal in the 19th minute after Surprise cut behind a Yale defender before making a centering pass to Pereira at the top, left corner of the box. The Quinnipiac forward pushed the ball to the right of the goal, keeping it scoreless.

Mars had another great opportunity in the first half to put the Bobcats ahead. Shane Recklet (Shelton, Conn.) put a through-pass up the middle of the field to Mars just past midfield. The junior forward broke into the left side of the box, but had his shot tipped on its way to the goal and rolled harmlessly to Yale goalkeeper Travis Chulick.

With exactly one minute remaining in the first half, the Bulldogs broke the scoreless tie. Jordan Raybould received a pass from Aden Farina-Henry at midfield and moved to the top of the box before placing a shot to the lower left corner of the net and past Quinnipiac goalkeeper Freddy Hall (St. George, Bermuda).

The 1-0 lead would stand for just 34 seconds as Mars finally got the Bobcats on the scoreboard on the team's ninth shot attempt. Brett Uttley (Jamestown, R.I.) put a high pass to the left side of the field from inside the midfield circle. A streaking Mars collected the pass and moved around a Yale player placing his shot over Chulick and just inside the far post for Quinnipiac's first goal of the 2009 season.

Yale controlled the tempo for much of the second half. Quinnipiac's Hall turned away numerous Bulldog opportunities in the second half of play, including making a save and tip-toeing the goal line to keep the ball out in 75th minute. Farina-Henry nearly gave Yale the lead with six minutes remaining, but a header on a long crossing pass went just wide the goal.

A apparent second goal from Mars with under three minutes left in the game, seemingly gave the Bobcats the late 2-1 lead, but Mars was called for a foul and the goal disallowed. Yale followed that with another scoring opportunity in the final seconds of the second half, but Jon Carlos' shot sailed over the crossbar, sending the game to overtime tied, 1-1.

Farina-Henry had another near miss as with 3:28 left in the first overtime he headed a ball less than a foot to the left of the far post from inside the goal box. On the subsequent goalkick, Mars took the ball downfield and beat Chulick with a shot, but the ball hit the right post before the Bulldogs cleared it away.

Neither team was able to score in the second overtime session with Yale's Chris Dennen pushing a shot just wide of the post as time expired. Hall finished the game with eight saves, while Chulick turned aside four Quinnipiac shots in the game.

The Bobcats return to action on Monday, Sept. 7 at 1 p.m., as they host nationally-ranked Loyola (Md.) at the Quinnipiac Soccer Field.