Men’s Soccer Adds Two Student-Athletes to 2014 Roster
HAMDEN, Conn. – Quinnipiac University head men's soccer coach Eric Da Costa announced today, Wednesday, March 26, 2014 that John-John Diaz (Miami, Fla.) and James Greco (Long Valley, N.J.) have signed to compete with the program beginning in the fall of 2014.
Coming off one of the most impressive seasons in program history, Quinnipiac continues to improve as it moves closer to the 2014 season. Last season, Quinnipiac earned its first NCAA Tournament appearance after advancing by way of penalty kicks in the MAAC Championship game. The Bobcats knocked off top-seeded Monmouth, 4-3, and earned a first round clash with nationally-ranked No. 10 UConn. The Bobcats concluded the 2013 campaign with a 9-5-7 overall record.
Quinnipiac University Men's Soccer 2014 Signings:
Hometown: Miami, Fla.
High School: Felix Varela Senior
Major: Business – MBA
- Attending Felix Varela Senior High School - an "A" Magnet School in Miami, Fla. - ranked in "The Best Schools 2013" by US News
- A four-year varsity starter for a high school that holds one of the strongest soccer reputations & traditions within Florida as National, State, & Regional Champions
- Led the Vipers in assists for the last three years and goals scored in the last two years
- He set new school records in both goals (23) and assists (11) in his senior season
- Diaz was named the team's Most Valuable Player (MVP) in 2013
- He also plays for SAA Real Madrid-Miami – a respected Club Team in Florida
- The team won the Florida State Cup with Diaz leading the way with six goals
- Helped the team to a fourth place finish in the National League; Diaz had seven goals and seven assists in the tournament run
- Diaz finished with four goals and five assists to lead the team to a USYSA Southern Regional Championship
- The team is ranked first in the state of Florida; second in the region; and third nationally
- He is the second leading scorer and leads the team in assists (32)
- Selected to play in the 2013 All-Star game between South Florida and North Florida – scoring one goal and tallying an assist
- Named the '2013 Best Player of the Club' while also receiving the Gold Cup from Radio Caracol-Miami
- Originally from Venezuela, where he started to play soccer at the age of five
- He will pursue a five-year BS/MBA
- His mother, Edith, and his father, Norberto, are also native-born of Venezuela living in Miami; His sister, Rowena, lives in Hawaii
Quinnipiac Head Coach Eric Da Costa on John-John:
"John-John is an exciting player with great flair and technical ability. He is a competitor that has been well coached and will challenge immediately for a role within our team. John-John is a winner and has been part of winning teams. He has the attitude and ability we are looking for and will make for a great addition."
Hometown: Long Valley, N.J.
High School: West Morris Central
- A transfer to Quinnipiac from Rider University
- He started in all 18 games for the Broncs in 2013, scoring a goal in the team's 3-1 victory over Marist College
- As a freshman in 2012, he had one assist – setting up the lone goal against Siena College
- Prior to Rider, Greco played At West Morris Central High School
- He was a three-year letter-winner as a midfielder
- Named the Team's Most Valuable Player (MVP)
- Selected to the All-State Second Team
- Selected to the All-Morris County First Team
- He served a starting role for New Jersey ODP
- A member of the U-18 USSDA Academy team for PDA
- James is the son of Rosario and Patrice Greco
- In May, he will have two years of his finance degree completed
Quinnipiac Head Coach Eric Da Costa on James:
"James comes to us with 35 games of Division I college experience. More importantly he knows the league; therefore, his transition should be seamless. James will work to fill a void for us in the center of the midfield and I look forward to introducing him into our squad."
Student-athletes, parents and fans can download the QU Athletics schedules to your laptop and mobile devices for free by clicking in the iCalendar link at the bottom of each sport's homepage or the master schedule page. Fans can also follow Quinnipiac Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@QUAthletics) for all of the latest news and update.