FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Senior James Kwei (Dedham, Mass.) and freshman John Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) each won in singles competition on Monday afternoon, but the Quinnipiac University men's tennis team was defeated by Fairfield University, 5-2, at the Fairfield Outdoor Tennis Courts.
With the loss, the Bobcats fall to 7-10 overall and will look to get back on track at the Northeast Conference Tournament this weekend. The Stags improved upon their impressive campaign, moving to 12-4 on the year.
After dropping all three doubles match-ups, the Bobcats responded with stronger results in the singles segment. Kwei took down Joe Michalisin, 6-4, 6-4, in No. 2 and Petrini outlasted R.J. Mirabile, 7-6 (4), 5-7, 12-10, in No. 6. However, QU was unable to muster up the two needed points in the other match-ups for the non-conference victory.
Fairfield, now winners in three straight contests, returns to action on Friday with its second-to-last MAAC showdown. The Stags travel to Siena for a 1 p.m. tilt.
Quinnipiac returns to the court this weekend with the Quarterfinals of the Northeast Conference Tournament. The tournament opens up on Friday at Fairleigh Dickinson. The opponent and time have yet to be determined. For all of the latest news, scores and highlights pertaining to the men's tennis program, please visit www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com.
1. Sauter/Zlobinsky (F) def. Weeden/Kwei (Q): 8-7(4)
2. Michalisin/Kremheller (F) def. Lane/Ambrosio (Q): 8-6
3. Amyot/Lessing (F) def. Lazerowich/Nelson (Q): 9-7
1. Dan Sauter (F) def. Andrew Weeden (Q): 6-1, 6-4
2. James Kwei (Q) def. Joe Michalisin (F): 6-4, 6-4
3. Dennis Zlobinsky (F) def. Garrett Lane (Q): 6-3, 6-3
4. Erik Kremheller (F) def. Corey Morgenstern (Q): 6-1, 6-2
5. Cameron Amyot (F) def. Eric Ambrosio (Q): 6-4, 6-1
6. J.C. Petrini (Q) def. R.J. Mirabile (F): 7-6(4), 5-7, 12-10
Contact: Tony Distasio; firstname.lastname@example.org