Women’s Tennis Falls to Boston University
CAMBRDIGE, Mass. – The Quinnipiac University women's tennis team dropped its third non-conference match of the season on Friday afternoon, as the Boston University Terriers handed the Bobcats a 7-0 loss at the Beren Tennis Center.
With the loss, Quinnipiac fell to 1-3 on the season but still owns a 1-0 record in conference play. The Bobcats defeated Rider, 7-0, during the 2013 fall schedule.
On Friday, the Terriers took the doubles point by handling the Bobcats on each of the three courts. The pairing of Kim McCallum and Madison Craft defeated Sophia Dzulynsky (Miramar, Fla.) and Kelsi Oliphant (Calgary, Alberta), 6-1, on court No. 3, which was followed by a second win on court No. 2 soon after. Lauren Davis and Barbara Rodriguez outlasted Jacqueline Raynor (Garden City, N.Y.) and Michelle Dassa (Marlboro, N.J.) 6-3 to solidify the point. Court No. 1 featured a stalemate but went unfinished in conjunction with the new scoring format.
In the following segment, a talented BU squad shined in a very strong showing for the home team. The Terriers took every match in straight sets en route to their second victory of the young season. Oliphant put up the best fight in a 6-3, 6-2 loss at No. 6 singles.
1. Johanna Hyoty/L. Athanasiadis (BOSTONU) vs. Rachel Horton/Sydney Young (QUINN): 4-3, unfinished
2. Lauren Davis/Barbara Rodriguez (BOSTONU) def. Jacqueline Raynor/Michelle Dassa (QUINN): 6-3
3. Kim McCallum/Madison Craft (BOSTONU) def. Sophia Dzulynsky/Kelsi Oliphant (QUINN): 6-1
1. Johanna Hyoty (BOSTONU) def. Sophia Dzulynsky (QUINN): 6-1, 6-0
2. Lauren Davis (BOSTONU) def. Jacqueline Raynor (QUINN): 6-3, 6-0
3. L. Athanasiadis (BOSTONU) def. Sydney Young (QUINN): 6-3, 6-0
4. Sami Lieb (BOSTONU) def. Rachel Horton (QUINN): 6-2, 6-0
5. Barbara Rodriguez (BOSTONU) def. Ariana Launie (QUINN): 6-0, 6-1
6. Madison Craft (BOSTONU) def. Kelsi Oliphant (QUINN): 6-3, 6-2
Quinnipiac returns to action on Friday, Feb. 21 and Saturday, Feb. 22 with a weekend road trip featuring stops in two different states. The Bobcats take on St. Joseph's on Friday night at 8:30 p.m. in Media, Pa. before heading to Elkton, Md. for a clash with Delaware.
Student-Athletes, parents and fans can download the 2013-14 QU Athletics schedules to your laptop and mobile devices for free by clicking in the iCalendar link at the bottom of each sport's homepage or the master schedule page. Fans can also follow Quinnipiac Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@QUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates.