HAMDEN, Conn. –
Four different Quinnipiac women's rugby players scored tries Saturday afternoon but the Bobcats fell to the Penn State Nittany Lions, 26-22, in University Park, Pennsylvania.
The Bobcats outscored the Nittany Lions, 22-14, in the second half but came up just short of completing the comeback against Penn State, a team that competes in Division I Elite Women's Rugby.
Quinnipiac 22, Penn State 26
West Fields | University Park, Pennsylvania
Quinnipiac (3-4) | Penn State (5-4-2)
- (Quinnipiac 0, Penn State 7) 2' – Penn State got on the board early in the match with a try and a successful conversion
- (Quinnipiac 0, Penn State 12) 12' – Penn State added a second try early in the first half before carrying the 12-0 lead to halftime
- (Quinnipiac 5, Penn State 12) 43' – Mikah Maples (Mowequa, Illinois) struck for her team-leading eighth try of the season to pull the Bobcats back within seven
- (Quinnipiac 5, Penn State 19) 49' – Penn State extended its lead to 14 after another try and a successful conversion
- (Quinnipiac 10, Penn State 19) 56' – Margot Vella (Leppington, Australia) answered once again for the Bobcats as she scampered for her fourth try of the season
- (Quinnipiac 10, Penn State 26) 62' – Just a few minutes after Vella's score, Penn State recorded another try and conversion to take a 26-10 lead with 28 minutes to go in the half
- (Quinnipiac 17, Penn State 26) 64' - Mckenna Haz (Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia) recorded her second try of the season and had a successful conversion brought the Bobcats back within nine
- (Quinnipiac 22, Penn State 26) 75' – Allison Koenig (Waukesha, Wisconsin) made things interesting late as she recorded her first try of the game with about 15 minutes to play but the Bobcats could not find the try zone again
- The Bobcats had an impressive second half, outscoring Penn State 22-14 but could not complete the comeback after a late second half try
- Maples' try was her eighth of the season, breaking her tie with Emily Roskopf (Dublin, California) for the team lead
- She has now recorded a try in two straight matches after recording two tries against Brown last week
- Vella found the try zone for her fourth try of the season, recording a try for the third time in the last four matches
- Haz recorded her second try in as many weeks, as well as tallying one conversion to give her 25 on the season and an average of 3.5 successful conversions per match.
- Koenig rounded out the scoring for the Bobcats, recording a try for a fourth straight match
- Koenig's try was good for her fourth of the season
The Bobcats return to the Quinnipiac Rugby Field next Saturday as they host the Army West Point Black Knights in their final match of the regular season at 1 p.m. Prior to kickoff, the Bobcats will honor their two seniors, Emily Roskopf
and Caitria Sands