– Michael Lombardi
(Barrington, Rhode Island) scored his first career goal Saturday night but it wasn't enough as the No. 12/13 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team fell to the No. 12/13 Union Dutchmen, 5-1, in ECAC Hockey action.
Lombardi put the Bobcats on the board late in the second period and Quinnipiac trailed by just a goal after two periods of play. The Bobcats could not capitalize on Lombardi's goal, giving up three goals in the third period in the loss.
Anthony Rinaldi and Josh Kosack each had two goals in Saturday's game and Union netminder Darion Hanson made 34 saves.
Quinnipiac 1, Union 5
Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena at People's United Center | Hamden, Conn.
- (3:12, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 0, Union 1: The Ducthmen got on the board 3:12 into the first period as Cole Maier won a faceoff in the offensive zone and passed it back to Ryan Walker who wristed home a shot from the point past Quinnipiac goaltender Keith Petruzzelli
- (12:59, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 0, Union 2: Brendan Taylor kept the puck alive with a battle in the left corner before feeding a pass to Kosack. After Kosack's initial shot was saved, he put home the rebound for the goal
- (16:22, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Union 2: Lombardi put home his first career goal after TJ Friedmann (St. Louis, Missouri) tipped the puck to home out of a battle in the left corner. Lombardi circled the net before finishing the wraparound goal through Darion Hanson's five-hole
- (10:22, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Union 3: Rinaldi put home his third goal of the season on a breakaway in the third period as he tapped home a rebound on the back door after Petruzzelli initially saved the breakaway shot from Sean Harrison
- (13:32, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Union 4: Rinaldi scored his second goal off another rebound as he tapped home a backdoor rebound off a Brandon Estes shot
- (16:53, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Union 5: Kosack scored his second of the game after he corralled a touch pass from Kolias before backhanding home the puck past Petruzzelli's blocker side
- Lombardi became the fifth Bobcat this season to record his first career goal and eighth different player to tally his first career point
- Friedmann recorded assists in back-to-back games for the first time in his career and now has three assists in his last four games
- Petruzzelli tallied 18 saves in Saturday's game
- Chase Priskie (Pembroke Pines, Florida) led all skaters with six shots on goal, his third straight game with six shots on goal and fourth such game this season
- Quinnipiac heads back on the road for the next four games, opening up the stretch with another ECAC Hockey weekend at No. 17 Cornell in Ithaca, New York, Friday night before wrapping up the weekend series at Colgate on Saturday in Hamilton, New York