Box Score PROVIDENCE, R.I.
– The Quinnipiac Bobcats downed the Providence Friars, 48-44, led by red-shirt senior Jen Fay
(Lynbrook, New York). She recorded her first double-double of the season with 24 points and 13 rebounds Thursday night.
Quinnipiac 48 / Providence 44
Quinnipiac (2-1) | Providence (0-2)
Alumni Hall Mullaney Gymnasium / Providence, Rhode Island
BOBCATS STATISTICAL LEADERS
- Points: Fay, 24 / McClure 12
- Rebounds: Fay, 13 / Strautmane 10
- Assists: Fay, 3
- Steals: Fay, 3
BY THE NUMBERS
- The first quarter opened with strong possessions from both the Bobcats and the Friars. Quinnipiac's first possession included two back-to-back offensive rebounds and a strong drive through the lane by Aryn McClure to open the scoring.
- Quinnipiac maintained the lead throughout the second quarter and held Providence to just 17 points, which was a season low.
- Fay led the Bobcats in the first two quarters with 11 points, shooting 42.9% from the field and 83.3% (5-6) from the free throw line.
- Quinnipiac came out firing in the third quarter and went on a 10-2 run with two three-pointers from Fay and Taylor Herd (Quakertown, Pennsylvania).
- The Bobcats continued to hold the momentum and went into the fourth quarter with an 11-point lead.
- In the fourth, the Friars came back to cut the Bobcat's lead to five points with under five minutes left to play. Later, Providence would come back even more to cut the lead to one-point, but Quinnipiac held on and kept the lead through the rest of the game.
- Fay came up clutch scoring in two back-to-back scoring possessions and a stealing a Providence pass in the final minute of the game. She finished with 24 points and 13 rebounds.
- Fay recorded her first double-double of the season. She was 33 points away from recording 1,000 career points coming into this game, and now needs nine points to reach the milestone. She went 7-15 from the floor and 8-12 from the free throw line.
- Senior Aryn McClure (Springfield Gardens, N.Y.) notched 12 points and seven rebounds.
- Herd recorded nine points in the win.
- The Bobcats went 13-40 from the floor and 3-27 from beyond the arc.
- Quinnipiac committed 13 turnovers on the evening and the Friars had 15.
- Since November 22, 2017, the Bobcats are 30-4.
The Bobcats will head to Estero, Fla., for the Gulf Coast Showcase where they will face #8 Texas on Nov. 23 at 5 p.m.