Box Score LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Kat Miller
shattered Quinnipiac's program record for kills in a match with 34 to carry Quinnipiac women's volleyball to a thrilling five-set victory over the Niagara Purple Eagles in the first round of the 2018 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Championship tournament on Thursday evening in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
The first round victory marks the second season in program history that the Bobcats have earned a postseason victory. With the win, the Bobcats advance to the second round of the MAAC Championship tournament where they will face #4 Fairfield on Friday at 12:30 PM. The contest will be broadcast live on ESPN3 from the HP Fieldhouse at the ESPN Wide World of Sports.
Quinnipiac 3, Niagara 2 (25-22, 17-25, 25-22, 23-25, 15-13)
HP Fieldhouse | ESPN Wide World of Sports | Orlando, Fla.
Quinnipiac (9-20, 7-11 MAAC) | Niagara (9-19, 9-9 MAAC)
FIRST SET (Quinnipiac 25, Niagara 22) –
Much like the final regular season contest between the two teams, freshman Lydia Jones
was dominant in the early going, recording Quinnipiac's first three kills of the match. Neither team led by more than two points until consecutive kills by Miller gave the Bobcats a 17-13 edge. Niagara would pull back within two points at 21-19, but the Bobcats responded with two kills by Morgan Sherwin
and another by Miller, taking a 24-20 lead to set point. After two Niagara points, Miller ended the set with her tenth kill of the match.
SECOND SET (Niagara 25, Quinnipiac 17)
– The Purple Eagles dominated most of the second frame, forcing a Quinnipiac timeout after taking five of the first six points. Quinnipiac narrowed the gap to 14-12 after another Miller kill and a Niagara attack error, but the Purple Eagles responded with four straight points to regain their advantage. The teams traded points towards the end of the set until Niagara finished it off with three straight, all off of Quinnipiac attack errors.
THIRD SET (Quinnipiac 25, Niagara 22) –
Once again, Niagara controlled the early portion of the set, opening up a 9-2 lead out of the break. A Kat Miller
service ace and a Niagara set error pulled the Bobcats all the way back to within a point at 13-12, but once more, the Purple Eagles stormed back and regained a 19-14 edge. The Bobcats scored five of the next six points to force a Niagara timeout at 20-19. After the Bobcats tied it at 20, Niagara picked up the next two points only to see Quinnipiac storm away with the set thanks to a 5-0 closing run.
FOURTH SET (Niagara 25, Quinnipiac 23) –
The Bobcats came out strong in the fourth set, working to a 12-7 lead and holding that five-point edge all the way to 15-10. Niagara chipped away, narrowing the gap to two points multiple times, before finally drawing even at 23-23. A set error and a kill would give the Purple Eagles the set victory and force a high-pressure fifth set.
FIFTH SET (Quinnipiac 15, Niagara 13) –
In a match that had just about everything, it was only fitting that this one ended in a decisive fifth set. The teams split the first 10 points of the frame, before a Jaycie Roberts kill helped Niagara pick up a 7-5 lead and force a Quinnipiac timeout. The Bobcats posted a 3-1 mini-run, capped by Morgan Sherwin
service ace, to even the score at 8-8 and cause the Purple Eagles to burn a timeout of their own. The timeout seemed to spring Niagara forward, as they forced two Quinnipiac errors and inched towards victory with a 13-10 advantage. From that point, the clutch performers on the Quinnipiac sideline took over and pulled out a dramatic 5-0 run, ending the set and match on a Kat Miller
kill, her 34th of the evening.
QUINNIPIAC MATCH LEADERS
- Days after becoming the first player in Quinnipiac's Division I history to record 1,000 career kills and 1,000 career digs, Kat Miller broke the program record for single-match kills with 34. The previous record of 26 was set by Shannon Dublin on October 24, 1995.
- Miller also added 30 digs in the effort, becoming the first Quinnipiac player ever to join the 30-30 club in kills and digs.
- Morgan Sherwin picked up a double-double with 15 kills and 10 digs.
- Maria Pansari posted 56 assists, 29 digs, and five kills in the Bobcat win.
- Kills: K. Miller (34)
- Hitting Percentage: M. Pansari (.308)
- Blocks: G. Horman (4)
- Assists: Pansari (56)
- Digs: K. Miller (30)
- Quinnipiac advances to the second round of the MAAC Championship tournament where it will face in-state rival Fairfield at 12:30 PM on Friday.