HAMDEN, Conn. – Brittany Martin
(Sicklerville, N.J.) led the Bobcats with 19 points and knocked down four three pointers to lead the Quinnipiac women's basketball team to a 90-45 win on Sunday afternoon. Six different Bobcats tallied double-digit point totals on the way to the commanding win.
The Bobcats defense was strong all day, recording 21 steals and forcing 33 turnovers.
Quinnipiac 90 / Saint Peter's 45
Quinnipiac (7-6, 2-0 MAAC) | Saint Peter's (5-8, 0-2 MAAC)
People's United Center / Hamden, Connecticut
BOBCATS STATISTICAL LEADERS
- Points: Martin (19)
- Rebounds: Warfel (8)
- Assists: Thornton (7)
- Steals: Thornton (6)
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- An Aryn McClure (Springfield Gardens, New York) jumper opened the scoring 35 seconds into the game and the game would never get closer, as Quinnipiac rattled off an 18-0 run in the first 4:10 of the game.
- Saint Peter's scored four quick points to get on the board before the Bobcats closed the quarter with a 22-4 lead.
- Consistent scoring and lockdown defense allowed the Bobcats to push the lead to 28 at halftime as they posted another 22-point quarter and allowed just 12 points to the Peacocks.
- The defense loosened up a bit in the third quarter, as Saint Peter's was able to put 18 points on the board, but the Bobcats outran the visitors in the frame, scoring 28 points.
- The game's pace slowed slightly in the final period where Saint Peter's held the Bobcats under 20 for the only quarter of the game (18), but the host's defense stayed strong and closed out the game with a 45-point advantage.
- The Bobcats held an opponent to four points in a quarter for the third time this season, and second consecutive game.
- The 90-point output makes 2018-19 the sixth straight season that the Bobcats have recored 90+ points in a game.
- Quinnipiac improves to 10-0 all-time against Saint Peter's. The Bobcats have outscored the Peacocks by a 774-470 margin in those nine victories.
- Martin's 19 points and five three-pointers were both career-highs. She also added two rebounds, two assists, and a steal to her afternoon.
- Paula Strautmane (Riga, Latvia) finished with 11 points, moving her just 12 points shy of the 1,000-point plateau.
- Six Bobcat players scored in double figures, and freshman Amani Free came up one point short with a career-high nine in the win. Free added three rebounds and a steal in the best performance of her young career.
- Edel Thornton (Gurranabraher, Ireland) tied a career best with seven assists, along with a career-high six steals on the afternoon.
- Jen Fay (Lynbrook, New York) packed the score sheet, posting a line of 16 points, seven rebounds, five assists, and three steals.
- Paige Warfel posted a career-high four steals to compliment a near double-double (ten points, eight rebounds).
After opening the conference schedule with two victories, the Bobcats will face a tough test on Thursday afternoon. Quinnipiac travels to Poughkeepsie, New York for a noon matinee against Marist. The game will be broadcast live on ESPNU.